MY CRAZY LIFE

8/13/08

Growing Pains

You know how your kids have the tendency to grow up? No matter how hard I protest this natural phenomenon, it tends to transpire anyway! Of course (being a mommy) it disturbs me to think that my daughter will be going to fifth grade this year and my son is only one year from being in Kindergarten. I want them to be sweet little kids forever. Ok, Ok, not forever! There are days in every mothers life when you think, this child may not make it to adulthood if they don't straighten up...right?
Last night was an epiphany moment that my kids are growing up. Both of them woke up in the middle of the night complaining of "growing" pains. In the past I have tried the natural route. You know... ice packs...rubbing...heating pads. Really, in the middle of the night is not the time for me to go natural.

Ashley wakes up at 1 AM ...

"Mom, my legs are hurting."

"I'm sorry babe, you want some Tylenol? Here drink some water. Now, go get back in the bed."

"I'm having a hard time sleeping. Can I read?"

"That's fine, but turn off your lamp before you go back to sleep."


3:30 AM Payton wakes up SCREAMING! Uncontrollable, blood curling, hysterical, SCREAMING!
"Mmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaa mmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"

Thought- "Oh no, some one has came into the house and is trying to get my baby."
"No, no, maybe he just had a bad dream, I'm just going to lay here and see if he goes back to sleep."

"MMMMaaaaaaaMMMMMMaaaaaa!"

Another thought- "Well, I guess I'm gonna have to get up and see what he is screaming about"

"Mmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmaaaaaaa!!!"

"Ok Payton, I'm coming. Whats wrong?"

"mmmyyyy wwegs aaarrr hurrting!"

"I'm sorry babe, you want some Tylenol? Here drink some water and wash it down. Come get in the bed with mama. You have to quit crying though. Do you want me to get an ice pack?"

Of course, the ice pack lasted about 5 seconds.

Needless to say, not a great night for sleeping. Now, as I was reading on the American Academy of Pediatrics website (and a couple other places), it may not be growing pains at all. More than likely it is due to more physical activity than normal. hummm.

Thought-"Guess I should have left the mall earlier."



And by the way, check out my little favicon in the address bar. Cute huh?


3 comments:

Ask Spraytopia said...

Sounds like a night or two in my house over the years. Enjoy it though, the big boys don't wake me up anymore. They just get up and take care of it themselves. I know that sounds impossible right now, but believe me, it happens- faster than I would like! I'm glad you are blogging again, you have a fun light hearted way of writing that I enjoy.
P.S. - Love the "C" on your nameline.

Rose said...

so they still wake up in the night... when they are that old?

(whimper)

Dona said...

Not often though, Rose.