MY CRAZY LIFE

8/17/08

Medical Olympics


Many weekends in the Trauma ICU are crazy busy, and this weekend was no exception! As I was practically running from one patients bedside to another, I started thinking about what you would see at the Medical Olympics.










Here is what I thought based on what I do, help with, see done, or make fun of!

Wrestling a patient back into their bed. Who will win?
Marathon intubations. How many will be done in a hour?
How many poops can you clean in a shift? Excludes coworkers poops.
Guess the diagnosis.
Following protocols. A 1/2 point will be deducted for every faux pas.
Critical care patient transports. Getting all monitors, IV pumps, oxygen tanks, chart, and ambu bag down to CT and back up as quickly as possible. Don't forget the patient!
Embarrassing co-workers (not excluding MD's) Speaks for itself.
How quick you can untangle tubes and lines without making it worse.
Stay smart while keeping emotions in check during emergent situations.
Find a ugly OMFS resident. Honest, you can't do it! If you do...Gold Medal!

4 comments:

rgresh said...

You're silly. I'd come home with the gold for sure :) Well ok we'd tie for first.....

Ask Spraytopia said...

I'm no expert, but this does sound strangely similar to the olympics. Seriously, what you must go through at your job. Thank God for nurses like you.:)

Rose said...

Wow, I would have to pass on the cleaning poop part. And what is an OFSS or whatever?

Anonymous said...

I don't know first hand what you go thru - but I laughed out loud of your Olympic description! I can imagine it IS that caotic for you! Kudos to you and your co-workers for all you do for the lame and helpless! I love you! Blog on!